Are you a Mac user looking for ways to boost your productivity while working from home?
With the rise of remote work, businesses have recognized the need for effective time management tools to monitor their employees' productivity. To fulfill this need, managers and team leads have turned to time tracking apps.
Time trackers have become essential for businesses to ensure that their workforce is performing at its best. In fact, a recent survey found that 96 percent of U.S. business leaders now use employee monitoring software, including time trackers.
These apps have become the Swiss army knife of the modern workplace, especially since the pandemic forced us to adapt to remote work. They're like having a personal time wizard by your side, helping you manage your workload better.
Adobe found in a study that people spend an average of over five hours per day checking their email. That's a lot of time spent on just one task! But this time can be saved - by using top productivity apps and tracking your work hours. These tools can identify where you're spending too much of your time so you can figure out ways to manage time and work better.
Without further adieu, let’s get to our list of the best productivity apps for Mac, including time tracking apps, that can help you manage time, resources, and much more effectively.
- Time tracking apps are essential for businesses to monitor employee productivity.
- Individuals manage their time more effectively by identifying areas of improvement and minimizing distractions using these apps
- Our list of the best productivity apps for Mac can help you stay focused and achieve your goals.
- Time tracking apps are beneficial for both freelancers and those working in larger organizations.
5 Best Productivity Apps for Mac
When it comes to boosting productivity, there's more to it than just tips and tricks. There are tons of productivity apps out there, but the ideal ones share two core aspects. Firstly, they should be non-intrusive, meaning they seamlessly integrate with your workflow and don't cause disruptions. And secondly, a good interface is key - you want to be able to use the app easily and efficiently.
You can find both the key features and more in our pick of the best productivity apps for Mac below:
Toggl is a time tracking and productivity tool that has become popular among Mac users. This app is designed to help individuals, teams, and businesses manage their time more efficiently, increase productivity, and meet deadlines. Toggl's interface is simple, intuitive, and easy to use, making it a great tool for beginners and professionals alike.
One of the core features of Toggl is its time tracking functionality. Users can start and stop a timer with a single click, allowing them to track how much time they spend on different tasks and projects. This feature is particularly useful for freelancers and remote workers who need to accurately track their billable hours.
The app also offers project management features. Users can organize their work into different projects and assign tasks to specific team members. Additionally, Toggl lets you set project budgets, track project progress, and generate reports based on project data.
- Easy installation and usage with unlimited projects, clients, and tags.
- Pomodoro timer for focused work.
- Exportable reports.
- Calendar view of tracked hours.
- Available on web, mobile, and desktop.
- Higher price compared to other time tracking apps on the market.
- Invoicing requires an add-on.
- The free plan doesn't allow you to assign time for projects or activities.
Any list of the best productivity apps for Mac would be incomplete without TimeCamp.
Imagine you are a freelance graphic designer, and you have several clients with different projects to work on. One day, you receive an urgent email from one of your clients, asking for an update on their project's progress. You realize that you have lost track of the time you have spent on each project and cannot provide an accurate report.
This is where TimeCamp comes in. With TimeCamp's time tracking software, you can easily monitor the time you spend on each project, including billable and non-billable hours. You can integrate TimeCamp with your project management tool, such as Asana or Trello, to track time spent on specific tasks directly from the project management software, eliminating the need to switch between different applications.
TimeCamp's reporting capabilities are impressive. You can generate detailed reports that display time spent on each project and task, providing accurate insights into your work habits and productivity levels. These reports are easy to read and can be exported in various formats, such as PDF, CSV, and XLS.
As a busy freelancer, you may have multiple projects going on at the same time, making manual time tracking time-consuming and prone to errors. However, with TimeCamp's automatic time tracking functionality, you can run a desktop application that runs in the background, tracking your activity, including which applications you are using and how much time you spend on each one. This feature saves you time and ensures accurate time tracking, allowing you to focus on your work without worrying about tracking your time.
- Automatic time tracking
- Effortless invoicing
- Recording attendance and time off
- Integrates with over 80 third-party apps
- The mobile app has limited features; the website has full capabilities.
- Fixed pricing options; no customization available.
- Multiple contributors can lead to messy inputs.
- Invoicing is not included in Free and Basic plans.
Imagine this scenario: you run a small business that uses a project management tool like Asana to keep track of tasks and deadlines. However, you find that managing time and attendance for your team is becoming a nightmare, and you need a solution that integrates seamlessly with Asana. That's where Everhour comes in.
Everhour is a software that specializes in time tracking and attendance management, and it can easily integrate with several project management applications, including Asana, Jira, and monday.com. This makes it a perfect fit for your business that's already using Asana to manage projects. But that's not all – Everhour offers features beyond time tracking, such as billing and budgeting with expenses and invoicing, and task management with visual planning.
If you have a small team with limited time tracking needs, you can try out Everhour's free plan. It includes unlimited time tracking, projects, and reports that can be exported, along with mobile app support. However, the free plan is limited to five users only.
For more advanced features, you can upgrade to Everhour's Lite plan. This provides additional tools for budgeting and invoicing, including project rates and project cost tracking. The app also alerts you when you reach a certain percentage of the estimated project cost.
- Integration with project management software
- Unlimited task and project tracking
- Unlimited time tracking
- No GPS functionality
- Invades privacy by taking screenshots
- Employee scheduling supported only for paid plans
Hubstaff is a time tracking software designed to enhance productivity through features such as transparency, task management, and online collaboration. It is an ideal choice for organizations of all sizes, particularly those with remote or field teams. With Hubstaff, you can gain visibility into what your team is working on, which makes it an excellent tool for monitoring productivity.
This tool offers a variety of solutions for time tracking, from simple work hours and project recording to more sophisticated automatic solutions with productivity monitoring capabilities. Its mobile app tracks time based on geographical location, making it easy to clock employees using GPS technology. Additionally, Hubstaff is available as a Chrome extension, and it can be used on desktop or mobile devices.
- GPS technology to track team members on the move
- User-friendly interface that is easy to adapt to for non-technical team members
- Establishes idle time limits, sends scheduled reminders, and automatically creates timesheets through time tracking applications
- Automated screenshots may invade privacy
- Interface is not very user-friendly
- An overabundance of reports and data may cause confusion
- The free plan only allows for one user.
Klokki mainly reserves its number on our list of the best productivity apps for Mac primarily because it is native to Mac.
Klokki is an innovative time-tracking app that is designed to help individuals and teams stay productive and organized throughout the day. The app is simple, user-friendly, and packed with features that make it easy to track time spent on various tasks and projects.
One of the standout features of Klokki is its ability to automatically track time based on the apps and websites that you use throughout the day. This means that you don't have to remember to start and stop a timer every time you switch tasks or applications. Instead, Klokki will automatically detect when you start working on a new task and begin tracking your time accordingly.
Klokki also offers manual time tracking and the ability to add notes to your time entries. This is great for when you need to track time spent on tasks that don't involve the use of a computer or for when you want to add additional context to your time entries.
Another great feature of Klokki is its ability to create customizable rules for time tracking. For example, you can create rules that automatically assign certain tasks to specific projects or clients based on the apps and websites that you use. This makes it easy to keep track of your billable hours and ensures that you're accurately tracking time for all of your clients and projects.
- Offers rule-based time tracking to automate time tracking and increase accuracy.
- Idle time detection helps to capture unproductive time and provides insights for better time management.
- Detailed reports provide a clear overview of the time spent on each task and project.
- Billable hours tracking allows for accurate invoicing and helps to improve project profitability.
- Some users may find the limited integrations with project management tools to be a dealbreaker.
- Klokki is only available for Mac users, which may be a disadvantage for those who use multiple operating systems.
How to Choose the Right Time Tracking App for Mac
Time tracking apps can be a game-changer when it comes to boosting productivity, managing workload, and improving time management skills. By keeping track of the time spent on various tasks, you can get a better understanding of your work habits, identify areas for improvement, and optimize your workflow.
If you're a Mac user, there are plenty of MacBook apps for productivity to choose from. Here are some tips on how to select the right one for you.
Is it Easy-to-use?
The first thing to consider when choosing a time tracking app is how easy it is to use. Look for an app with a simple and intuitive interface that doesn't take a lot of time to install and configure. The app should allow you to start tracking your time with just a few clicks, without having to navigate through a maze of menus or settings.
Not to be missed: 11 Best Time Doctor Alternatives in 2023
How Good Are its User Reviews?
Another way to assess an app's usability is to read user reviews. Check out the app store or other review sites to see what other users have to say about the app's user experience. Look for apps with high ratings and positive feedback from users who have similar needs to your own.
Consider the Features You Need
Different time tracking apps come with different features, so it's important to consider what you need from the app.
- Do you need the ability to track time across multiple projects or clients?
- Do you want to spy on your team or opt for a non-surveillance tool?
- Do you need to track time on specific tasks within a project?
Make a list of the features you need and compare them against the apps you're considering.
Let’s Not Forget the Pricing
Finally, consider the pricing of the app. Some time tracking apps offer a free plan with basic features, while others require a subscription for more advanced features. Consider how much you're willing to spend on a time tracking app and whether the app's pricing fits your budget.
Don’t Forget to Read: Employee Surveillance: Is it Actually Affecting Work Productivity?
How do Mac productivity apps help increase productivity?
Mac apps for productivity can help increase productivity by streamlining your work and helping you stay focused on your most important tasks.
- Task managers can help you prioritize your to-do list and ensure that you don't forget important deadlines or tasks
- Time-tracking tools can identify areas where you're spending too much time and adjust your habits accordingly
- Note-taking apps can quickly jot down ideas without interrupting your workflow.
- Project management software can help you collaborate more effectively with team members and keep everyone on the same page
Overall, these apps can be incredibly helpful in optimizing your workflow and maximizing your productivity.
Are productivity apps free or paid?
Mac productivity tools, like the time tracking apps for Mac mentioned above, are available in both free and paid versions.
Some offer basic features for free, while more advanced features require a paid subscription. Others are completely free but may have limitations on the number of projects, tasks, or users that you can manage. Then there are apps that are available only with a one-time purchase or subscription fee. It really depends on the specific app and the packages it’s offering.
Do productivity apps offer privacy?
The privacy protections offered by productivity apps for Mac can vary widely, depending on the app and its developer. Some apps may collect and store user data, while others prioritize user privacy and take steps to protect user information.
For instance, timegram protects user privacy by keeping managers and team leads from using surveillance tactics like screenshots, webcam monitoring, keystroke monitoring, mouse tracking, etc. The app’s designed to promote trust and accountability so you get all the insights into employee performances without having to spy on your team.